As a college basketball coach for over 28 years with back-to-back National Championships while at the University of Florida, a scout for the Los Angeles Clippers and now as an Assistant Coach with the Wichita State Shockers, I know what it takes to help you build your team into a winner!
You know one of the things that drives my passion for coaching every single day is the fact that I get to add value to people and help them reach their dreams. Billy Graham once said:
“Coaches have more impact on a young person in one season than a pastor can in a lifetime”
I have 5 Standards that I live on a daily basis that drives my passion for adding value to people.
Be an Energy Giver. We can choose our attitude everyday. Do you know the average child laughs two hundred times a day and the average adult only four. I know it sounds simple but with a positive attitude we can change the world in an instant. Being Positive only makes us and everyone around us better.
Humility is the quality of being humble and free from pride and arrogance. We should strive to be peacemakers who loves and forgives others. We’ve all made bad decisions and had things happen to us but if we are able to tear down the barrier and forgive, it opens up opportunities for us to add value to others.
Compassion and caring leads to trust. John Maxwell said it best “ People do not care how much you know until they know how much you care.” 4 ways I show love is to Listen-Love-serve-and care I have learned through life that the Ultimate Human Currency is Trust as you can not buy it only earn it. It’s so important to keep loving as greatness is determined by service to others.
Communication to a relationship is like Oxygen to life. Without it,It dies. Anytime you have a void in communication-negativity fills it and it grows. So remember to be careful with your words as they have influence on the hearts and minds of others.
Just like a great team, true unity is made when you put aside individual wants for the collective good of the group. The power of unity is strength. When there is teamwork and collaboration, so many wonderful things can be achieved.
About Donnie Jones
Coach Jones has nine years experience as a D-I head coach with 158 victories.
28 years+ of experience in college coaching
Two national championships at the University of Florida
600+ wins as a college coach and 13 NBA Draft selections
Assistant Coach at Florida (1996-2007)
– Spent 11 years as an assistant coach for the Gators along side head coach Billy Donovan
– Played a key role in Florida’s recruiting and player development, helping Florida claim a pair of national titles (2005,2006) and make three trips to the Final Four
– Helped the program make nine-consecutive NCAA Tournament appearances, four SEC Eastern Division titles and three SEC tournament crowns
– Coached and help recruit 12 NBA Draft selections including Jason Williams (1999), Donnell Harvery (2000), Mike Miller (2000), David Lee (2005), Al Horford (2007), Corey Brewer (2007) and Joakim Noah (2007)
Head Coach at Marshall (2007-2010)
– Helped lead the Thundering Herd to its first winning season in 7 years in his first year
– Led Marshall to one of the top campaigns in program history with a 24-10 mark in 2009-10
– Took Marshall to the second round of the 2010 CollegInsider.com Tournament, the first trip to the postseason for the school in 22 years
– Coached Hassan Whiteside, a 2010 NBA Draft Selection and currently with the Miami Heat as one of the top centers in the NBA.
Head Coach at UCF (2010-16)
– Led the Knights to three-consecutive 20-victory season to begin his tenure
– Guided the program to its first top-25 ranking and first two at large appearances in the postseason
– Coached the Knights to victories over the highest ranked teams in program history (No.4 UConn and No. 16 Florida)
– Helped the program transition from Conference USA to the American Athletic Conference
College Scout at Los Angeles Clippers (2016-17)
Assistant Coach at Wichita State (2017-)
NBA Draft Picks:
Jason Williams (Florida)/Sacramento/1st round, 7th overall/1998
Mike Miller (Florida)/Orlando/1st round, 5th overall/2000
Donnell Harvey (Florida)/New York/1st round, 22nd overall/2000
Matt Bonner (Florida)/Chicago/2nd round, 45th overall/2003
Christian Drejer (Florida)/New Jersey/2nd round, 51st overall/2004
David Lee (Florida)/New York/1st round, 30th overall/2005
Al Horford (Florida)/Atlanta/1st round, 3rd overall/2007
Corey Brewer (Florida)/Minnesota/1st round, 7th overall/2007
Joakim Noah (Florida)/Chicago/1st round, 9th overall/2007
Chris Richard (Florida)/Minnesota/2nd round, 41st overall/2007
Taurean Green (Florida)/Portland/2nd round, 52nd overall/2007
Marreese Speights (Florida)/Philadelphia/1st round, 16th overall/2008
Hassan Whiteside (Marshall)/Sacramento/2nd round, 33rd overall/2010
Television, Radio and Public Speaking Experience
– Served as the host of inside UCF Basketball with Donnie Jones, a weekly television program, and also had a weekly radio show
– Served as the host of the Marshall University Basketball Show
– Experience as a motivational speaker at businesses and corporate events for the past 28 years
– Married to the former Michelle Gibson: the couple has three children: Madisyn, Isaac and Sophie
– Native of Point Pleasant, West Virginia
– Bachelor’s in business education from Pikeville College (1988)
– Master’s in sports management from Marshall University (1992)
– Played collegiately at Pikeville College and recorded a school-record for assists
– Member of the Pikeville College and Point Pleasant High School Athletics Hall of Fames